Opioid reduction is an area of growing interest amongst healthcare professionals and patients in Canada.
- Special Advisory Committee on the Epidemic of Opioid Overdoses. Opioids and stimulant-related Harms in Canada. Ottawa: Public Health Agency of Canada; December 2020. https://health-infobase.canada.ca/substance-related-harms/opioids-stimulants
- Ian M. Pawasarat, Emily M. Schultz, Justin C. Frisby, Samir Mehta, Mark A. Angelo, Samuel S. Hardy, and Tae Won B. Kim. The Efficacy of Medical Marijuana in the Treatment of Cancer-Related Pain. Journal of Palliative Medicine. Jun 2020.809-816. https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2019.0374
- Manini AF, Yiannoulos G, Bergamaschi MM, et al. Safety and pharmacokinetics of oral cannabidiol when administered concomitantly with intravenous fentanyl in humans. J Addict Med. 2015;9(3):204-210. https://doi.org/10.1097/ADM.0000000000000118
- Nielsen S, Sabioni P, Trigo JM, et al. Opioid-Sparing Effect of Cannabinoids: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2017;42(9):1752-1765. https://doi.org/10.1038/npp.2017.51
- Cooper ZD, Bedi G, Ramesh D, Balter R, Comer SD, Haney M. Impact of co-administration of oxycodone and smoked cannabis on analgesia and abuse liability. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2018;43(10):2046-2055. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41386-018-0011-2
- Campbell G, Hall WD, Peacock A, et al. Effect of cannabis use in people with chronic non-cancer pain prescribed opioids: findings from a 4-year prospective cohort study. Lancet Public Health. 2018;3(7):e341-e350. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2468-2667(18)30110-5
- Sohler NL, Starrels JL, Khalid L, et al. Cannabis Use is Associated with Lower Odds of Prescription Opioid Analgesic Use Among HIV-Infected Individuals with Chronic Pain. Subst Use Misuse. 2018;53(10):1602-1607. https://doi.org/10.1080/10826084.2017.1416408