Let’s face it, with post-holiday blues and continued cold weather nipping at our doors, February can be a challenging month! To help ease the stress of your daily living, here’s our Harvest Medicine top 10 “Feel-good February Tips” for medical cannabis patients:
- February is Heart and Stroke Month – reach out and connect with anyone you know who has been affected by heart disease or stroke. Send them a virtual hug or ecard letting them know you are thinking of them.
- Treat your own heart and cardiovascular system to a brisk walk outside or an indoor online workout. Some of our staff favorites are Zumba, PopSugar, MadFit and Team Body Project. For those with mobility issues, there are some great seated workouts available on YouTube.
- February is also Psychology Month and we encourage you to learn a new mental health skill such as meditation, mindfulness, or taking in a mental health workshop. To learn more, visit the Canadian Psychology Association. Many of our staff members are enjoying using the Calm app to help with mental health and combat the daily stresses of COVID-19.
- Continuing with positive mental health initiatives, try participating in Dry February in support of the Canadian Cancer Society. Even if it’s not for the full month…a day, a weekend, or a full week can make a difference. Learn more about the effects of cannabis use associated with alcohol consumption.
With Valentine’s day approaching, here are some self-love and self-care tips, regardless of your relationship status. Give yourself the well-deserved attention that you want! One of our staff mantras is “be kind to yourself” and we encourage you to do the same.
- Give yourself a massage, starting with hands, feet, scalp, and face. Depending on your medical cannabis dose and timing, certain cultivars may assist with relaxation, releasing stress and muscle tension.
- Treat yourself to a special meal and eat it with no distractions. Focus on the experience of taste, smell, and if you’re adventurous –the feel of it. See #9 for cooking with cannabis ideas.
- Curl up on the sofa with a hot cocoa or tea and watch a funny or silly movie. Pile on the pillows and blankets to get extra cozy and laugh those “brrrr’s” away!
- Music is a wonderful way to both decompress…and energize. Turn off the TV and blast your favorite playlist. Shut the curtains and dance to your heart’s content. Be free and move to your groove!
There are so many things you can do to care for yourself. Invest a little time to tailor your care to EXACTLY what you like, your mind and body will thank you for it. Here are just a couple more “food-for-thought” ideas to help you feel-good this February:
- Try making your medical cannabis dose more exciting by incorporating it into a meal or baking. Check out these Harvest Medicine recipes for ideas. Some comfort food highlights: Vegan Morning Skillet, Cannabis Chai Latte, Cananbis Mac’n Cheese and Avocado Cannabliss Truffles.
- Tell a friend about your medical cannabis feel-good story. Have you experienced better focus? More pain-free days? Better sleep? Been able to participate in activities with friends and family? Share your Harvest Medicine story with a friend or family member this month. Who knows, they might have a cannabis story of their own to share with you too!